Access to this product feature is dependent on your institution's Watermark agreement
Base ☑ | Faculty Accomplishments ☑ | Reviews, Promotion and Tenure ☐ | Web Profiles ☐
User access within Faculty Success is controlled by Security Roles. Each role has a set scope - unrestricted, unit, individual, or self - and a set list of permissions. These settings work together to give a user assigned to the role access to specific utilities and users.
This article discusses the various security role scopes and permissions and the ways in which you can combine them to grant individual users the access they need.
Security Role Scopes
For a University instrument, the default scopes available for security roles are:
- Unrestricted: all users within Faculty Success
- College: all users within a selected college
- Department: all users within a selected department
- Individual: all selected individuals
- Self: a faculty member's ability to access their own data
Note: The users to whom you have access through a college or department-level security role are determined based on the most recent Yearly Data record for each user who is tracking activities in Faculty Success.
For unit level instruments, the Unrestricted role remains in place to give access to all users within Faculty Success. The unit level scopes are revised to reflect the instrument, however, so a College scope may not be available in all instruments.
If additional ways to group users are needed, scopes can be added. We sometimes see this if a School or Division field is added to Yearly Data. Whether new fields are made available as scopes for security roles depends on whether you request to be able to use the field as a security role scope or not. If this is needed for a specific new field, please make sure to note this in your Screen Revision work request. This will also require that the field have a defined list of options. That is, it must be a drop-down-list or check-box-list.
Security Role Permissions
All Faculty Success permissions align with available utilities within the system. Available permissions, along with a brief description of each are outlined below:
- Home: Find your Success Consultant's contact information, access resources and technical information, and track key aspects of Faculty Success
- Manage Data: Read/Write: Enter or manage other users' teaching, research, and service activities, including hidden and read-only fields
- Manage Data: Proxy: Enter or manage other users' teaching, research, and service activities, excluding hidden and read-only fields
- Manage Data: Read only: Review a read-only version of the data collection screens (including hidden fields) with users' teaching, research and service activities
- Manage Administrative Data: Easily copy the Yearly Data records from one year to the next for users for whom you have permission, or update these users' Yearly Data records from a central location.
- Run Ad Hoc Reports: Query the data in Faculty Success using the parameters you identify. This permission can also be toggled to either include the ability to include hidden fields in ad hoc reports or exclude this ability for a given security role.
- Run Custom Reports: Run reports based on templates. Report templates can be restricted to specific units - college or department - if they should only appear to users assigned to specific units
- Usage Statistics: View statistics on the use of Faculty Success by your users. These include the number of logins and number of records added or edited. This permission can also be toggled to either include the ability to retrieve audit logs for individual faculty or exclude this ability for a given security role.
- Users and Security: Create new users, edit, enable/disable or delete existing user accounts. View security role details and associated users. Also includes the ability for the University Administrator to see a comprehensive list of custom reports and the security roles to which they are available.
- Work Requests: Submit requests to modify Faculty Success, view the status of open requests, and view completed requests. We can only grant this permission to one account at the campus level and one account per college. By default, we provision the Work Requests permission to the University Administrator and College Administrator security roles. This permission includes a user in email announcements from Faculty Success as well.
- Resource Center: Connect with other Faculty Success clients to exchange ideas and access documentation.
- Change Your Password: Change the password for your user account. Granted to all default security roles. Only visible for a user if they authenticate using Local Authentication.
Note: Whether or not a user has the ability to manage their activities is determined separately from their security role when you create a user account.
For more information about Security Roles, see these related articles: