Access to this product feature is dependent on your institution's Watermark agreement
Base ☑ | Faculty Accomplishments ☑ | Reviews, Promotion and Tenure ☐ | Web Profiles ☐
As you use and assign Security Roles to users, you'll want to be able to review them and create new ones as needed.
Reviewing Your Security Roles
Security roles can be reviewed by going to the "View Security Roles" page, which can be found by following the steps below.
- Navigate to the Users and Security tool from the Navigation Bar within the Tools utility.
- If you have access to multiple instruments, choose the one for which you want to view security roles from the drop-down field within the "Search Users" box . Proceed to the next step if you only have one instrument (This is uncommon).
- Click the "View Security Roles" hyperlink in the Users and Security.
You will then be directed to the "View Security Roles" page. Where you can view the current security roles and click the "" button to expand on the permissions each security role has as well as the users who are currently assigned to each role and the permissions available that can be added to security role. If the role has a reports permission, click "Details" to see a list of the reports that can be run by the role.
If you want to download a report of the security roles you've configured in your Faculty Success instance, the following reports have been created and are available to download from the "View Security" page.
- Security Role Configuration Details: This report will allow you to see a list of all of your security roles and the permissions that each has.
- Security Details for Full-Service Reports: This report provides a more detailed view of which security roles or units have access to a specific custom report.
Downloading the Security Role Configuration Details
From the "View Security Roles" page, you may download the report by clicking on the "Download Security Role Configuration Details" hyperlink.
Once the report is run, you will be able to view the current security roles you have configured for your instance, as well as the permissions each has. The security roles you have configured will be listed in the "Security Role" column, and the permissions each one has will be marked with a "yes" within the corresponding permission column.
Downloading the Security Details for Full-Service Reports
From the "View Security Roles" page, you may download the report by clicking on the "Security Details for Full-Service Reports" hyperlink.
When you open the report, you can view which reports each security role has access to, as well as whether the report can be run by users with a specific permission/college. The report title will be in the "Report Name" column, and the security roles that can run the report will be in the "Security Roles" column. If the report requires a user to have certain permissions/be assigned to a specific college in order to run it, that will be listed in the "Report Permissions" column.
Creating New Security Roles
If you discover that you need to create new security roles after reviewing the existing ones, it is best practice to visit Security Roles Overview of available permissions and scopes to determine which scope and permission should be assigned to the new security role you wish to create. You may also see Common Additional Security Roles to view common examples of common security roles that are created. You can then return to this article to see what information you need to include in your General Work Request, which you will be submitting to have a new security role created.
The General Work Request must include the following information:
- Name of the new security role.
- Permissions that should be assigned to the new security role.
- Scope of the new security role.
The following is a short video guide on creating new security roles:
Note: Within your General Work Request, you may also add a list of users to whom should be granted this new security role, otherwise, this role can be added manually to the users after the security role is created.