This article contains information on common errors that you may receive when manually importing data to Student Learning & Licensure
After uploading an import file, the page will display the number of rows that were imported successfully and the number of rows that failed. If there were rows that failed, click the Failed information link to view a list of the errors:
Each failed record will display the line/row number where the error occurred along with the reason(s) why the row failed to import.
General error messages
- 'Invalid byte sequence in UTF-8" - this error can occur if your file contains invalid characters. Here are a few solutions that may resolve the error:
- Re-save your file with the 'CSV UTF-8' file type (if available)
- Highlight all cells in your file and click 'Clear formats'
- Check the line number listed in the Failed Information to make sure there are no leading or trailing spaces, or special characters, in any of the fields
- If you still receive the error after trying these solutions, please contact Watermark support
- "This is a required field" - your import file is missing a column for this field, or the column header in your file in invalid. To see which fields are required in the import: go to the page for the import you are doing, then click the "Sample File" link. Required fields will have a red asterisk.
- "Email: Please enter a valid email format" - check to make sure the email address in your file is valid and that it does not contain any leading or trailing spaces
- "Email: Please enter a different email. The email is already taken" - the email address listed in your file is associated with a different user. This can occur if the User ID in your file does not match the User ID for the existing user. To check the User ID for an existing user, click 'Extracts' at the top of the page, then create a 'User Demographic Data' extract. If a user's User ID needs to be changed, please contact Watermark support.
- "Role: Please assign a role to all users. Roles include 'student', 'faculty', 'admin', 'external'" - the role you have listed for the user is invalid. Accepted values for the Role field are: student, faculty, admin, external
- "Code already exists. Please enter a unique code." - the code listed in your file is associated with a different course. This can occur if the Course ID in your file does not match the Course ID for the existing course. To check the Course ID for an existing course, click 'Extracts' at the top of the page, then create a "Courses Data" extract.
- "Hierarchy: Node not found. Please use an existing hierarchy node name" - the Node listed in your file does not match any existing nodes in the Hierarchy. If the node needs to be created, you may return to the Hierarchy screen and add the node manually, or import a Hierarchy file. If the node does exist please verify that the node name in the Hierarchy matches the value in your import file exactly, and check to make sure there are no leading or trailing spaces in your file
- "Section name already exists. Please enter a unique name." - the section name listed in your file is associated with a different section. This can occur if the Section ID in your file does not match the Section ID for the existing section. To check the Section ID for an existing section, click 'Extracts' at the top of the page, then create a "Sections Data" extract
- "Instructor: Please use a faculty or admin email address for instructors" - the email listed in your Instructor column is associated with a user who does not have a 'faculty' or 'admin' role. User roles can be updated through the Users import. Click here for more information on updating existing users.
- "Please use an open section name" - the section you are importing is currently "closed" in the system. To reopen the section: go to the Hierarchy, click on the Hierarchy node that contains the course, click on the course, click "Closed" to the right of the section to change its status to "Open"
- "Status Error: Please enter a valid status. Valid statuses include 'active' and 'deleted'" - the value you have entered in the Status field in your file is invalid. Accepted values for this field are 'active' and 'deleted'
- "Membership: User does not exist. Please use an existing user email address." - the email address you have listed in your file is not associated with any existing user in the system. If the user needs to be added to the system, or if their email address needs to be updated, please import a Users file
- "Section Name: Section does not exist. Please use an existing Section name." - the Section Name you have listed in your file is not associated with any existing section in the system. If the section needs to be added, or if its name needs to be updated, please import a Sections file. You may also create or edit a section manually by going to the Hierarchy and clicking on the course.