In Next Generation (Core NG) reports, a Unit Administrator (UA) can include organizational security to limit access to data for some users. The organizational security option only appears in Core NG reports available to the UA role, and is primarily related to assessment and evaluation reports. These reports include:
- Course Evaluations 005: Aggregate Report on Course Evaluation Results for Administrators
- Courses 002: Coursework and Observations Assessment Report for Administrators
- Field Experience 002: Student Field Assessment Report
- Field Experience 001: Student Artifacts Report
The goal of setting up organizational security in reports is to allow a role, such as a Program Chair, Dean, etc., to have access to data typically available only to a UA. At the same time, the users accessing the report have limited access to data, so that they can view only data associated with their department(s). Once the actions below are completed, the specified user will only see data for the organizations with which the user is associated in the hierarchy.
- Core NG reports dedicated to the faculty role already have a built-in organizational security feature that limits the view of data.
- Planning reports for Assessment Planning and Strategic Planning include organizational security for users by design; there’s no need to set any requirements.
- You must have your organizational hierarchy in place in order to utilize organizational security in reporting. For more information, read the Help Desk Quick Guide.
1. Associate a User to the Organizational Hierarchy
Associating a user to specific units in the organizational hierarchy can be accomplished in several ways.
- In Administration Users, search for the user to associate.
- Open the user’s Basic profile tab, and scroll down to “Organizations: Select“
- Choose the appropriate units and then “Select.”
- Select Planning Planning Setup Associations.
- Search for the user and select.
- Select units from the hierarchy and save.
Users can be associated to the hierarchy through a dataload. Please contact your IPC or Client Partner for more information.
2. Associate a Form to the Organizational Hierarchy
Forms for collecting data in Course Based Assessments, Field Experience, and Course Evaluations need to be aligned to the organizational hierarchy.
- In Administration Form Builder, locate the form to associate.
- Open the form, and in the “General Information” tab, go to “Organization(s): Select.”
- Select the appropriate organization(s) and save.
3. Associate a Course to the Organizational Hierarchy
- In Course Registration Courses, search for the appropriate course.
- Click on the course number.
- Scroll down to “Organizations: Select.”
- Choose the appropriate organization(s), and then click “Select.”
- Click “Update” when finished.
4. Report Set Up
- In Reports, locate the Core NG report you wish to set up with organizational security.
- Click on the name of the report to view the report parameters.
- Locate the “Include organizational security” option and select “Yes.”
- Select “Set as Default.”
5. Make the Report Available to a User
- Select the checkbox next to the report name.
- Scroll up to the settings ‘gear‘ and click.
- Enter a user’s name in the field.
- Click “Update.”
After data collected through a Tk20 course evaluation, course-based assessment, or field experience binder is submitted by the assessor or recipient, and all steps above are completed, data will be visible in a restricted format based on the alignment of the user to the organizational hierarchy.
For a user whose associations to the hierarchy are changed in order to take advantage of organizational security, it is recommended that the user clear his or her browser cache before accessing the reports. For information on clearing the browser cache, click here.
Article is closed for comments.