For select automated alert types, when opening the alert from SS&E Administration -> Alerts -> Automated Alerts Administration, the alert includes a "History" tab that displays the alert processing logic and how exactly the system determined which students received an alert.
The Alert History tab displays after the alert runs for the first time.
- For more information about automated alerting, click here.
Automated Alert History can be used to help determine why select recipients did not receive an automated alert on past alert runs.
Currently, Alert History is available on the following alert types:
To help set up and/or troubleshoot any of the above alert types, the alert history tab includes:
- The alert processing steps
- The criteria used on each alert step used to determine which students receive an alert and where/which students are filtered out from receiving an alert.
- Select "View" from the automated alert Details column to view the exact criteria used to determine which students are included or excluded from receiving an alert.
- If you click on "Items Returned" that will show you which items are included/have passed the criteria conditions on each step.
- If you search for a student ID, you will be able to find the exact step that filtered out a specific student which explains why a student did not receive an alert; or understand why a student was found eligible to receive an alert and was not filtered out on any of the alert steps.
- At the end, on the very last alert process step, Items Returned will always represent which students received an alert.
To view information about different alert types, click here.
How to View Alert History
On the Alert History tab, there are different sections depending on the alert type.
The example below demonstrates how to check "Current Grade" alert history:
1. From Automated Alerts Administration found here, select the "History" tab to see all past runs of the alert (starting after the feature release date).
2. Click on an "Id" to drill down to the details of the selected alert record.
On each alert stage/step, select "View" to see what criteria was used on each step.
- The "Items Returned" column displays a count of all the students/enrollment/record results as they are found and/or filtered out by the alert steps.
- The "Title" column contains the alert step description.
- The "Details" column allows users to view a detailed description of the alert step. *This is a very helpful troubleshooting tool as all criteria must be considered in order for the alert to include an expected student/enrollment/record result.
- Clicking on the "Id" column will display the actual records represented by the "Items Returned" count.
3. On the Current Grade alert, the following screenshot displays when clicking on Details View text from the "Get Current Course Sections" step:
4. For example, by selecting the "Get Current Course Sections" step "Id" the system will display the matching 27 records "items returned" on step 163: