The following settings allow you to set a default email address for any emails being sent from Course Evaluations & Surveys on your organization's behalf, including notifications and project email communications.
To access the Outgoing Email Settings
, navigate to:Account > Site Settings
(column) > Outgoing Email Settings
Edit Outgoing Email Settings
This email address should be a real email address as fake email addresses are more likely to get caught in SPAM filters.
This default email address can be overridden within specific communications if needed.
The Edit Outgoing Email Settings section offers the following options:
- Email From Name
Enter the name you would like the email to come from. This name should be something the students will recognize. For example: [School] Evaluations, Survey Administrator, Student Surveys, etc.
- Email From Address
Enter the default email address you would like to have for email communications. For example: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
- BCC Copies
Select whether you would like a copy of all communications sent from Course Evaluations & Surveys also sent as a BCC copy to the email address you listed above.
Email Domains (only applicable to .com sites)
The following Email Domains section and functionality only applies to our .com customers. If your Course Evaluations & Surveys URL ends with .ca or .ek-au.com the following section is not applicable.
All email communications default to send from firstname.lastname@example.org, however, the Email From Address which is set in Outgoing Email Settings and the default From address for new communications, will be used as the From address. In other words, all email communications will come from the watermarkinsights.com email server and the email From address is "spoofed" if you have a custom Email From Address.
If you’re accustomed to sending email communications From a campus email address instead of the system default and you want to avoid "spoofing", you’ll need to use a set of self-service tools to configure and authorize Watermark to send from your preferred campus email domain(s).
This is a collaborative process involving some steps by the CES Administrator and some on the part of your institution's IT team.
- Enter the preferred institution's default Email From Address for your course evaluation and survey email communications, as described above.
- As the CES Administrator, configure the email domain for that Email From Address using the new Email Domains section. If your institution has multiple Course Evaluations & Surveys subaccounts and you need to send from a campus email domain for all/multiple of them, you will need to add that email domain in each Course Evaluations & Surveys subaccount, but you only need to complete the below steps 3-4 with your DNS administrator once.
- After you Save the domain, click on your added domain to open the Email Domain dialogue to view your table of values. Provide the Type and copy the table of values by clicking the double page icon for each Name and Value, and then paste into a plain text file to provide to your DNS Administrator.
- Your DNS Administrator must add these values to the DNS zone that supports the email domain that you’re validating. How to do this depends on which DNS provider you use, so we cannot provide specific steps on this next part. But, you may find the resource table under Step 3 of To verify a domain identity configured with Easy DKIM (console) in this AWS article helpful.
- After you receive confirmation from the DNS Administrator that they’ve added the table of values you provided, you must click on your added domain to open the Email Domain dialogue again and click the Validate button.
- Once the email domain successfully validates, the system is officially authorized to send From any email address that uses that validated email domain, and you can use your preferred From email address in any automated and direct-to-user emails from that point forward without "spoofing".
DKIM Settings (only applicable to .ca and .ek-au.com sites)
This article describes the functional setup of the DKIM Settings within Course Evaluations & Surveys. Course Evaluations & Surveys does not
manage the DKIM Keys for your institution. If you seek additional guidance for using DKIM at your institution, please refer to the DKIM Setup Guidelines, which can be downloaded in PDF form at the bottom of this article.
If you make use of the DKIM option, please consult with your Institution's Email Administrator or IT department to make sure that DKIM is set up on your end, in your DNS, before you activate the setting in Course Evaluations & Surveys. If this is not the case, the emails from Course Evaluations & Surveys will not reach your users.
Domain Keys Identified Mail (DKIM) helps protect your company from email spamming and phishing attempts. DKIM is a form of email authentication that allows an organization to claim responsibility for a message in a way that can be validated by the recipient. DKIM uses “public key cryptography” to verify that an email message was sent from an authorized mail server, in order to detect forgery and to prevent delivery of harmful email like spam. In addition to safelisting Course Evaluations & Surveys email servers you can add DKIM information to ensure Course Evaluations & Surveys emails sent to your users are not blocked as spam.
The DKIM Settings section offers the following options:
- Please consult with your organization's Email Administrator to provide the information needed to populate the Domain, Selector, and Private Key fields. Once populated, enable the Make DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) default in all project communications feature and save your settings for DKIM to be used in subsequent emails sent from Course Evaluations & Surveys.
- Current implementation of DKIM supports Project email communications, and not direct emails to users.
- Click Send Test Email to test your DKIM settings.
Article is closed for comments.