This article is an overview of the features and functionality available to those using course-level dates within Course Evaluations & Surveys projects. If you have courses that start and end at various times throughout the academic year and you would like the surveys and/or reporting access to correspond with those differing start/end dates within an Course Evaluations & Surveys project, you can utilize the course-level dates features and functionality within Course Evaluations & Surveys.
Course-level Dates within LMS
Depending on your specific LMS, you may have the option to import course-level dates from your LMS during the course transfer or import process. Below is an example of the LMS data import feature within the Courses tab of a project in Course Evaluations & Surveys . Your data import may vary aesthetically, based on your specific LMS. If you are not importing courses via a LMS, this feature would not be available for you and you would utilize the course upload file option.
Course-level Dates in Upload File
If you are not importing or transferring courses into Course Evaluations & Surveys from a LMS or your LMS data does not include the course dates, you can use the course upload feature to upload an Excel spreadsheet with your courses and course information into the project. The course upload feature can also be used to update course-level dates in a batch process within a project after the courses have been transferred into Course Evaluations & Surveys either through an upload or an LMS import feature.
- Within the Courses tab of the project, you can upload a course file with course-level dates by clicking Data Import Excel.
- Within the Excel file upload document, input the course title, course code, and course unique identifier.
- Add specific survey start & end dates for the courses.
- Add specific administrator-level reporting access start/end dates as well as administrator access to course-level reporting start and end access dates (this is optional).
- Add the instructor access to course-level reporting course-level start and end dates.
If these fields are left blank within the course upload document, then the survey and access start & end dates will default to the project-level settings. On the other hand, anytime there is a course-level date added to a course, it will always override the project-level dates.
Manually Editing Course-level Dates
- Go to the Courses tab
- Click Edit by the specific course to view that course's course-level dates, under Course Level Dates.
- Here, you can edit course-level dates manually, on a course by course basis
Batch Editing/Adding Course-Level Dates
Once courses have been populated in a project, you can export a select group or all of the courses within a project, change the course level-dates on the Excel spreadsheet, and then re-upload the course file with the new course-level dates back into the project.
- Go to the Courses tab.
- Within the Excel spreadsheet with the exported course information add or update the course-level dates.
- Save this document.
- Return to the Courses tab.
- Select Excel from the Data Import menu.
- Upload the updated course file into the project.
Whether you used the course upload feature or the data import feature for your specific LMS to populate the courses within the project, you can always go back in and manually edit course-level dates or complete the above process for batch edits.
NOTEIn the scenario that you need to upload new courses into an In Progress project within Course Evaluations & Surveys and are utilizing course-level dates within your project, the new courses that you are uploading must have the correct course-level dates attached either through the data import process from your LMS or within the Excel course upload document. If new courses are uploaded to a project, while the project is running, and do not have course-level dates attached, then these course start and end dates will revert to the project start and end dates. And if the project start date is in the past, it will trigger the survey to be immediately live and/or emails scheduled for that project to be sent out immediately.
Course-level Dates Communications
When setting up communications within a project utilizing course-level dates, select the 3rd email scheduling option, Number of Days Before/After Course-Level Start Date for All Emails.