LTI 1.3 Blackboard Administrator Setup
In this article, we will take a look at the Administrator Setup
Please Refer to the below article for frequently asked questions regarding the migration from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3: LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3 migration FAQ's
Administrator setup consists of following two steps
If you have already generated a client id from the Blackboard developer portal then you may skip step 1.
Generate client Id from the Blackboard developer portal
- Login/signup to developer.blackboard.com and register a new application
- Provide the Application name and description in respective fields.
- Provide server Domain(s) of the Tk20 application server for LTI integration.
- Open Tool configuration details under the LTI Advantage (v1.3) tab of LTI Tool Provider Setup under administrator in the tk20 application.
Enable the “My Integration supports LTI 1.3” button and enter details of the below fields
- Login Initiation URL - copy the Initial login URL from the tool configuration details and paste it into this field.
- Tool Redirect URL(s) - copy the Redirection Logic URL from the tool configuration details and paste it into this field.
- Tool JWKS URL - copy the Public Keyset URL from the tool configuration details and paste it into this field.
- Signing Algorithm - select RS256
After adding details the fields will look like below
- Blackboard will show details of the below fields, copy these field values to use it later for matching information in Tk20.
- Save the application and copy the application id for your application.
Setup an application instance
1. Log into your Blackboard administrator account
2. Navigate to the Admin on the left side panel- Administrator Tools area and click on LTI Tool Providers
3. Click Register LTI 1.3/Advantage Tool.
4. Enter the Client ID, which is the Application ID that you generated with step 1 and click on the Submit button.
5. Navigate to LTI Tool Providers under admin. Edit the tool, and copy the Deployment ID.
6. Open Tool configuration details under the LTI Advantage (v1.3) tab of LTI Tool Provider Setup under administrator in the Tk20 application and create new field matching.
7. Use the details from sub-step 6 of step1 and enter details as mentioned below:
- Title - Provide a title for your integration
- Domain/URL (Issuer):* - enter the value from the issuer field of Blackboard
- Client Id: Enter the application id generated in the Generate client id step.
- Deployment Id: Enter the value from step 5
- Access Token URL: Enter the value from the Auth token endpoint of Blackboard.
- Public Keyset URL: Enter the value from the Public Keyset URL of Blackboard.
- Authentication Request URL: Enter the value from the OIDC auth request endpoint of Blackboard.
8. Click the Save button in Tk20.
9. In Blackboard, make the following updates:
- Select Approved for the Tool Status
- Select all three checkboxes for User Fields to Send
- Select Yes for Allow grade service access
- Select Yes for Allow Membership Service Access
10. Click Submit