The following provides information on Canvas Import Options and Enrollment Refresh. This article applies to CES Administrators and Project Administrators (if your organization is using that role).
- As an CES Admin, create a test project within your Course Evaluations & Surveys Account.
- Under the Survey tab of the project, select your test survey, and click Save.
- Make sure your Project Level Start Date is set for today’s date.
- Under the Courses tab click on Data Import > Canvas.
- On the top of the page you will see three options:
The Search Canvas Courses feature allows you to search for courses in your data source based on the synced Canvas course criteria. Below is a screenshot of the import page and more information about each search and import option.
- Accounts: Select to search for courses within specific Canvas account(s) or subaccounts.
- Status: Select to search for courses with Unpublished and/or Available status, or No Status within Canvas.
- Crosslisted Courses: If cross-listing is utilized in Canvas, there are three options when searching for and selecting crosslisted and non-crosslisted course sections:
- Courses With: Choose to search for courses with start/end dates populated within Canvas. Default option is to search for courses with any dates, this will include courses in Canvas with no start/end dates populated. Additional options here include courses with both start and end dates populated within Canvas, courses with start dates, courses with end dates and courses with no start and end dates populated within Canvas.
- Filter Options: Search for courses by course Name, Course Code, Unique ID or Term. Select which of these fields to search on from the first dropdown in this section. You can also use operands like “Contains”, “Equals”, or “Starts With”, or "Not Contains" based on your desired search logic.
- Courses Start/End Date & Time: Search for courses based off the courses start and/or end dates & times within Canvas. Date/Time format here is mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM.
- Select Courses to Import: The courses that meet your search criteria will be displayed in the “Select Courses” section, where you can check the checkbox for specific courses in the list, or the checkbox in the header to select ALL courses in your search results.
- Select Users to Import: Import the enrollments in the selected courses, which by default are Student and Teacher roles in Canvas.
- Create Unique Course Evaluations & Surveys Course Sections for each Canvas User Group (optional): Using this feature will automatically create separate course evaluation sections within Course Evaluations & Surveys for each group.
- Create Unique Course Evaluations & Surveys Course Sections for each Instructor (optional): Using this feature will automatically create separate course evaluation sections within Course Evaluations & Surveys for each instructor enrolled within the selected Canvas courses. Important Note: If selected, students within courses with more than one instructor enrolled will be asked to take the whole survey multiple times, for each instructor/course section. This will negate the team-taught courses functionality within Course Evaluations & Surveys.
- Add Instructor to Course Title (optional): Add the instructor's name to the course title of the course section.
- Generate Course-Level Dates Based on Canvas Course Dates (optional): With this feature, you can automatically generate course-level survey dates within the Course Evaluations & Surveys project that control when surveys for specific courses will start and end, based on the Canvas course start/end dates within Canvas. There is also an option to manually enter the course-level survey start/end dates for the courses selected in the import. Options for generating course-level dates within the Canvas data import include:
- Import Options:
- Import Data: To import the course, student, teaching assistant and instructor enrollment data into your Course Evaluations & Surveys Project for the selected courses, click “Import Data”. Once the import has been completed you will see the status of the import on the “Notifications” widget on the Home page of Course Evaluations & Surveys.
Using the Enrollment Refresh
After importing data for the selected courses from within Canvas, a refresh of the student enrollments can be scheduled in order to automate changes in student, teaching assistant or instructor enrollments within the selected courses in Canvas.
You can do so by going into the Users tab of your project and selecting Data Import > Canvas.
NOTEThe Enrollment Refresh will update enrollments for courses that have been imported via the Canvas integration only. Courses that are imported or added via other means, i.e. Excel, .csv, or manually created, are not supported with the Enrollment Refresh feature.
NOTERe-syncing courses has no bearing on the enrollment refresh and does not need to be completed to schedule an enrollment refresh. Also, the enrollment refresh will only update your enrollment numbers for the courses within your Course Evaluations & Surveys Project.
You’ll be presented with the option to schedule an enrollment refresh for a specific date and time or for every certain number of days within a recurring instance in a specified timeframe. After making your selection, be sure to click Save.
You can also choose to exclude courses from the enrollment refresh where the survey has ended for both course-level and project-level end dates prior to the scheduled run date. At the scheduled date and time the student, teaching assistant or instructor enrollments for the selected courses in the project will be automatically updated.