This feature allow you to give points to students for completing their surveys. When Course Evaluations & Surveys is integrated with Instructure Canvas LMS, you can utilize the Canvas Gradebook feature to encourage students to complete their course evaluations.
The Canvas Gradebook feature requires specific permissions assigned to the role of the Canvas Administrator that generated the Canvas Web Service Token for the Course Evaluations & Surveys integration. If your institution would like to use these features in Course Evaluations & Surveys, please ensure the required permissions are enabled for the Role assigned to the Canvas Administrator that generated the Canvas Web Service Token. Note: Changing the permissions of the Role assigned to the Canvas Administrator does not require new web service token to be generated.
The Canvas Gradebook feature requires the course be imported via the Canvas Data Integration (Courses tab > Data Import Canvas).
To utilize the Canvas Gradebook feature in Projects the CES Administrator must first enable the feature at the Account-level, under Account Canvas Data Settings tab.
The Canvas Gradebook feature will become available after the Project is Deployed and In-Progress.
The Canvas Gradebook feature provides the ability for either the CES Administrator or course Instructor to assign a specific number of points for completed surveys, and then automatically have a Gradebook item generated (column name is the Project name) with the corresponding points added for each student who has completed a specified survey.
Assigning Gradebook points is not an automated feature and requires a manual update to "push" points to students. Updates can be done whenever students complete their surveys, however, it is recommended to do one final update when the survey ends to ensure all students receive their assigned points. Subsequent assignments of points will overwrite previous assigned points to the student and course, not assign additional.
Canvas Gradebook points can be assigned on the Project Properties tab of your Project:
- Response Type: Allows the CES Administrator to choose if the points apply to submitted evaluations, or opted-out responses (if using Survey Opt-Out), or to both.
- Points: Assign the number of points that will be added when a student completes a survey for a course.
- History Notes (Optional): Add notes to the Canvas Gradebook Update History for the Project to provide additional notes of how or why the points were assigned.
- Update Canvas Gradebook: After you have configured how you want to assign points to the Canvas Gradebook, click Update Canvas Gradebook to push points to student accounts in Canvas who have completed their course evaluations.
- View History: View the historical Canvas Gradebook Updates for the Project
The student can view the Canvas Gradebook points assigned after completing the survey on the Grades page of the course in Canvas.