The Course Evaluations & Surveys Data integration with Instructure’s Canvas LMS has several components which allow you to directly sync course, student, teaching assistant, and instructor information between the two systems for your Course Evaluations & Surveys projects.
DATA INTEGRATION WITH CANVAS
Required Permissions for Canvas Administrator Account to Generate Access Token
Generating an Access Token
- With the Canvas Administrator account, log in to Canvas.
- On the left-hand navigation of the user interface, you will go to Account > Settings.
- Under the section Approved Integrations, select New Access Token. You will be presented with a window to create the token and insert a purpose for the token, such as Course Evaluations & Surveys Integration.
Note: You can leave the expiration blank. If the token expires, the data integration will no longer work and you will need to generate a new token.
- Generate the token and COPY the entire Access Token, and paste it into a text editor, such as Notepad.
Enter Connection Settings in Course Evaluations & Surveys
- In a separate browser, log in to your Course Evaluations & Surveys site as a CES Administrator to configure the Data Integration Webservice.
- In Course Evaluations & Surveys, navigate to Account > Integrations > Canvas > Data Settings tab.
- You are now ready to click Test Connection to test the data integration. You should receive a message at the bottom of the page indicating the connection Test Passed. If you receive a failed message, please review the previous steps and contact Course Evaluations & Surveys support at email@example.com for additional help, if necessary.
For institutions that wish to set up the Canvas Integration at the Subaccount level in Canvas, you will need to ensure that the Canvas Admin Account only has access to the particular subaccount. You will follow the same steps above to generate the access token, then select Is Sub-Account
under Data Settings
, as seen in the NEW screenshot below:
If you are setting up the integration at a Canvas subaccount level, the user integration will also need to be done at the same subaccount level. Customers that have a decentralized model in Course Evaluations & Surveys, will need to set up the integration at the Course Evaluations & Surveys parent level.
Canvas Course Roles
Using the second option, Standard and Custom Canvas Course Roles requires the Manage Permissions permission in Canvas, assigned to the Canvas Admin account that generated the access token. See Required Permissions for Canvas Administrator Account to Generate Access Token section above.
Additionally, Custom Canvas Course Roles must be setup at the same Canvas sub-account as the integration if you wish to import users assigned a custom role.
Account Hierarchy Import
The Canvas Account Hierarchy Import feature is not enabled by default on Course Evaluations & Surveys Accounts. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
to determine if this feature is right for your institution. The Canvas Account Hierarchy Import functionality is intended for Canvas institutions just coming on board with Course Evaluations & Surveys, and should not be utilized if you already have a hierarchy in place in Course Evaluations & Surveys. Also, to note, when initially creating the hierarchy structure, it's best to choose one path or the other, meaning that if you don't necessarily want to mirror the structure that's in Canvas, then manually creating the hierarchy in Course Evaluations & Surveys from the ground up would be the cleanest approach.