*** This article is still a work in-progress and not complete ***
Every person in SS&E is assigned at least one role. Every role is associated with a function.
Permissions are assigned at the role level in Role Administration. However, there are also built-in permissions at the function (menu) level that determine what each role is allowed based on a "business function".
- The functions listed below are associated with roles of the same name when roles are assigned to users via the SIS Import - Person data feed.
- These functions are also used when creating a new role in SS&E.
- If you are not sure which function to assign to a new role, we recommend assigning the Advisor function.
When setting up Roles in SS&E - Administration - People & Roles, there are many security settings that only apply permissions to "Staff" accounts, eg. staff functions only and do not apply to a student view, e.g. student function role.
When at least one staff function role is assigned to a person record in SS&E, all staff-related security settings selected in Role Administration will automatically apply to the user, no matter which role these are assigned from.
For more information about creating roles in SS&E click here.
Functions are associated with user roles of the same name imported on the Person data feed via the SIS Import or roles manually created and assigned in SS&E.
To determine which function should be associated with a manually created role, it is easiest to work through the different options by process of elimination, as many functions have limited permissions that restrict different areas of SS&E.
- Adjunct Faculty - Limited Permissions, very restrictive, creates a dynamic caseload and sets unique permissions/can remove permissions otherwise assigned, further explained here.
- Administrator - Allows access to the Administration section of SS&E Engage
- Advisor - Must be assigned in order to display on the Student Success Team (first position)
- Analyst - Limited Permissions, a limited role, does not allow a "caseload"
- Coach - Must be assigned in order to display on the Student Success Team (second position)
- External API - One of two non-student/non-staff functions
- Faculty - Allows access to the Staff "Courses" tab
- Faculty Advisor - Allows access to the Staff "Courses" tab, similar to Advisor yet more limited.
- High School Staff - A limited role for staff working with early college high school students.
- LMS Administrator - Limited Permissions to LMS Integration Administration areas of SS&E Admin without having the full Administrator role
- Manager - Limited Permissions, allows access to Academic Planning Administration
- New Registrant - One of two non-student/non-staff functions, prohibits access to SS&E. Users that are only assigned a role associated with the New Registrant function cannot log in to SS&E and cannot be impersonated. New Registrant is automatically assigned by SS&E if a student selects "New Student" on the Next kiosk login screen. Once in the system, the student's role can be changed in People Administration.
- Student - Students should only be assigned one Security Role associated with the student function on their Person record details in order to have a "Student View".
In order to be considered an SS&E "staff" user and have a "staff view", at least one of the user's assigned role(s) must be associated with any one of the staff functions listed below.
The following SS&E "Functions" are all considered "Staff" Functions, therefore should be used when creating staff "roles":
- Adjunct Faculty
- Faculty Advisor
- High School Staff
- LMS Administrator
Built-In Staff Permissions
In addition to "staff-related" security settings assigned in the different sections of Roles Administration, each staff function also has unique behaviors (mainly menu permissions) that are automatically applied to all users that are assigned a role associated with the specific staff function.
The Adjunct Faculty function is unique in that it automatically creates a dynamic caseload for the adjunct faculty member. By definition, users with an Adjunct Faculty function role will only see students that are in course sections they are currently instructing. Furthermore, the Adjunct Faculty function role will remove some permissions that might otherwise be granted by the presence of other assigned user roles*.
More information about the Adjunct Faculty function/role can be found here.
*As the Adjunct Faculty function is designed with many pre-defined limitations, it should not be used unless instructed so.
Grants access to all configuration settings in Administration. We recommend limiting Administrator function role(s) to a small number of users (usually five or less).
The Advisor function must be associated with one of the staff member's User Security Roles so that they can be assigned to a Student's Success Team as a Primary Advisor and display in the "Advisor" dropdown.
The Primary Advisor may be labeled differently if the "Term to Represent Advisor" is changed in Institution Configuration. However, it does not matter what label displays on the Student Success Team, only that the Advisor function must be associated with an assigned user role so that the user can be assigned by any method (manual via the UI with Administrator privilege/SIS Import via the Person data feed) to the "first position" on a student's success team.
**If you are not sure which function to assign to a new role, we recommend assigning the Advisor function**
A role associated with the Analyst function will never be allowed to have a caseload. As this function is very limited, it should not be used unless instructed so.
The Coach function must be associated with one of the staff member's User Security Roles so that they can be assigned to a Student's Success Team as a Primary Coach and display in the "Coach" dropdown.
The Primary Coach may be labeled differently if the "Term to Represent Coach" is changed in Institution Configuration. However, even when Institution Configuration renames the Success Team Primary Coach to display with a different title that "uses" a different function/role such as Advisor/Faculty Advisor /Faculty etc., the user must also be assigned a User Security Role that is associated with a "Coach" function on their Person Details so that they may be assigned by any method (manually assigned via the UI with Administrator privileges/Program Coach Mapping/Advisor Coach Mapping/SIS Import) to the "second position" on a student's Success Team.
User's assigned a role that is associated with the Faculty Advisor function are also included in the "Advisor" dropdown and can be assigned as a Primary Advisor to the "first position" on a student's success team.
High School Staff
A limited role intended for staff members working with early college high school students.
User's that are only assigned a role associated with the LMS Administrator function will only have access to Course Sections Administration and LMS Integration Administration.
The Manager function will grant access to SS&E and Academic Planning Administration in Administration.
In order to be considered an SS&E "student" user that only sees a "Student View" when using SS&E products, the user must have only one assigned role that is associated with the "Student" function.
Since there is only one SS&E "Function" that is considered a "Student" Function, this is the only function that should be assigned to a student role assigned to a student user.
NOTE: Student employees or student-staff workers that are assigned both a student function role and a staff function role on their User Security Roles in Person Administration will only have a Staff View when accessing SS&E . For more information about student-staff users, see here.