The Adjunct Faculty function is unique in that it automatically creates a dynamic caseload for the adjunct faculty member. By definition, the Adjunct Faculty role/function can only see students that are in course sections they are currently instructing.
*If this is not the intention, a new role may be created in Aviso->Administration->People & Roles->Roles based on the Faculty function instead. Using the Faculty function, a role can be built dynamically without the built-in functionality applied to users assigned an adjunct faculty role/function in Aviso.
In addition, when assigned to a user, the Adjunct Faculty role/function will override permissions and settings assigned by any other roles the user has.
- The Adjunct Faculty role/function works differently than other roles.
- Roles are typically "additive" in nature, meaning that the system will check to see if the user has ANY role with a particular permission in order to grant it.
- However, the Adjunct Faculty role/function works somewhat the opposite way - if you have an Adjunct Faculty role/function, it takes away several permissions that might otherwise be granted by the presence of other roles.
- For example, if a staff member has a different role that allows viewing the Transcript tab for a student, and also has an Adjunct Faculty role/function, the staff member will NOT be permitted to view the Transcript tab.
Specific permissions and behaviors of the Adjunct Faculty role/function are as follows:
- Cannot see students outside of the students they are currently instructing.
- When sending a message, may only use "All Students on My Roster" and "Selected Recipients" modes.
- Cannot modify their followers or "caseload".
- This means that they won't see the "Follow" or "Un-follow" buttons on student profile pages, and cannot modify their caseload or following settings on the "Settings" page, including "Excluded Programs."
- Can only see notes they created (cannot see notes others have created).
- Cannot add notes to alerts.
- Cannot close alerts.
- Cannot use walk-in meetings or calendar integration.
- Cannot see the following tabs on the student profile:
- Test Score
- Academic Plan
- Cannot access Reports.
- Cannot access Plans (Academic Planning).
- The system automatically includes events, alerts, and achievements for the students they follow, and these settings cannot be modified.
- The system will automatically ensure they are following all the students that are registered in course sections that are "active" and the Adjunct Faculty person is instructing (either as the primary instructor or as a secondary instructor on specific meetings of the course section).
- All subscriptions for the Adjunct Faculty role will be automatically expired during the SIS Import Job if the student is no longer enrolled in a course section that the Adjunct Faculty is instructing.
Note: The Adjunct Faculty Role is in the process of being deprecated in favor of specific role-level permissions and user settings that encompass the built-in behaviors concerning users with the Adjunct Faculty Role.