Message Logging allows email communications between staff and students to appear on the Student Profile "Messages" tab. This enables visibility into the student journey and prevents student engagement from becoming siloed with a single person/department.
SS&E can be configured to display Message Logging on the student record in the following scenarios:
- Messages created in SS&E, sent from staff to student.
- Messages created in SS&E, sent from student to staff.
- For clients using Google Workspace (G Suite), an optional feature can be enabled to allow messages created in Gmail sent from staff to anyone (student(s)/staff/someone that is not an SS&E"person") to display in SS&E.
Can Log Messages
The ability to log messages is set at the role level in the "Message" section.
- To enable, check the permission to "Log Messages".
- Once enabled, all users associated with the user role will see a checkbox when sending a message prompting the user to log the message on the Student Profile - Messages & Activity tabs.
- When a message is sent from staff within SS&E, if "Log Message" is checked, the message will be logged on the student profile tab regardless of the message delivery status.
Can View Messages Tab
In order for a staff user to be able to view logged messages displayed on the Student Profile Messages Tab, permission to view the Messages tab must be granted on the user role(s).
- Message tab permissions can be set in two places, as a Limited Profile View permission and a Full Profile View permission.
- To summarize, staff who are not allowed to see the full profile view on all student records may be allowed a "Limited View" to see certain student profile information for students that are "Off-Caseload". Another option is for staff to only be allowed a "Full Profile View" of students that are on their caseload. Lastly, if staff are not allowed a full profile view of any students, they may be allowed a "Limited View" by checking their user role(s) limited profile view settings.
- For more information about limited profile view and full profile view permissions, see here.
- The logged-in user must have permission to access the Messages tab so that it will appear on the student profile.
Message Logging - Additional Setup Tasks
For information about how internal and external message logging works and displays in SS&E, click here.
- Once a message is logged, i.e. associated with a student record, it will appear in the student's Activity Feed and Messages tabs.
Internal Messaging Administration - Logging Messages sent from Students to Staff
By default, "logging messages" sent from students to staff is disabled in SS&E Application Administration.
- When enabled, all messages sent from a student to a staff member will automatically be logged and display on the student's Messages and Activity Feed tabs.
To enable automatic logging of messages sent within SS&E from students to staff, an SS&E administrator can update the "logStudentInitiatedMessages" application configuration setting from false to true and save this change in Application Administration found here.
External Messaging Administration - Logging Messages sent by an external email client
"External" messages are email messages sent from an email client outside of SS&E (e.g. not using the SS&E Messaging interface) to anyone (a student(s)/staff/non-SS&E email address) while associating the message with an SS&E student record.
To enable external messaging logging at your Institution, please open a support ticket or reach out to your client success representative to discuss adding this new feature.
- Currently, only institutions using Gmail as their institutional ("external") email client are supported.
- Once added to an institution's SS&E product suite, Gmail message logging integration requires setup by SS&E staff along with the institution's Google Workspace Administrator before being enabled in SS&E Administration.
- In addition, once enabled, each individual staff and faculty user will configure their User Settings and install a Chrome browser extension.
- If the Messages tab is missing from a student record, this means that the logged-in user does not have appropriate permissions. To fix this, make sure that one of the user's assigned role(s) have permission to view the Messages tab.
- If Messages are missing when viewing the Messages tab or Activity Feed on a Caseload/Student Profile, check if internal/external/all message types are being excluded by the All Items/Message Types filter on the UI.
Click here to learn about reporting on messages.