Grade Return is used to record a grade in Tk20 and then push that grade back to your Learning Management System (LMS) gradebook.
Requirements for Grade Return
- Additional Parameters may need to be set depending on the LMS. For example, in Blackboard parameter of “Enable Grading” must also be set to “Yes”. This parameter creates a column in the blackboard gradebook for the coursework and grade.
- All values in the Grade and Overall Grade boxes must be entered as percentages.
- Tip: Make assignments out of 100 points
- Grade value must be a whole number (e.g., 87, 90) not including a decimal (e.g., 87.5, 93.4)
- The student must click on the Coursework link in the LMS to enable grade return. When the link is clicked, a pathway from Tk20 to the appropriate column in the LMS gradebook is created.
- Students should not log into Tk20 to submit Coursework.
Grade Return Examples
- Grade is entered manually.
- Total Score is auto-calculated by Tk20.
Coursework Type: Assignment with One Assessment Tool
Coursework Type: Assignment or Course Binder with Multiple Assessment Tools
Note(s): For assignments with multiple assessment tools, a grade is provided in each assessment tool. In the image “Coursework Type: Assignment or Course Binder with Multiple Assessment Tools”, the faculty member has recorded a grade for each form. The faculty member then recorded an Overall Grade which will be returned to the LMS.
Troubleshooting Grade Return
If all grades are submitted successfully, the system will display the message “All grades were successfully submitted to the gradebook.” A green checkmark will be displayed next to the grades that were successfully submitted.
Potential error messages you may receive:
“One or more grades were not sent successfully. Please review the status in the student grade column. For troubleshooting, please contact your LMS administrator.”
- Do you need to install SSL certificates? (Blackboard requires, other LMS systems may as well)
- Did the student click on the link in the LMS to access the coursework? Student may not have submitted work via Tk20 Coursework Integration. It is an LTI specification that when the student clicks the link the connection to the location in the gradebook is established.
- Are their multiple links set up in the LMS? Did the student click on a “Course Integration” or “Account Integrations” link? Grade return is only available with Coursework Integration.
“Grade must be between 0-100.”
- Did you enter a Grade value between 0-100?
- If the grade is not a valid value between 0-100, the system will display an error icon next to the student grade. If you hover over the icon a message will appear, “Grade must be between 0-100.”
“Error: Contact Administrator.”
If the grade was not successfully submitted for any other reason, the system will display an error icon next to the student grade. Possible reasons for the error:
- The Coursework link may not have a column in LMS gradebook OR linked to an assignment in the LMS.
- The Assignment/Coursework Link may not have a “points possible” value in the LMS gradebook.
- The student may not have submitted work via Tk20 Coursework Integration. It is an LTI specification that when the student clicks the link the connection to the location in the gradebook is established.
- The student does not exist in the LMS course.
- The student does not exist in the LMS gradebook.
Article is closed for comments.