In this quick guide, basic steps are outlined to build web links in a Moodle environment. The assumptions are that implementation steps have been completed with your Tk20 Product Consultant (i.e. coursework has been created and sent in Tk20, provider domain has been registered in LMS) and you are ready to begin linking courses in your LMS to Tk20 coursework. For more information on the implementation process, please reference the LTI Overview document or speak to your IPC.
Note(s): Screenshots are from Moodle v2.6 which may be slightly different for other versions
External Tool Configuration (System Administrators)
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Site Administration link located in the lower left side.
- Click Plugins.
- Click Activity Modules.
- Click on "Manage Activities" link.
- Click on "External Tool" settings.
- The External Tool Type list shows Active, Pending, and Rejected tool types. If Tk20 is not already on the active list click the link Add external tool configuration to add it.
- Under Tool Settings, enter the following fields:
- Tool Name: This is the name of the tool type. e.g. Tk20 Tool or Tk20 Course LTI or Tk20 Coursework LTI.
- Tool Base URL: This is your server URL
- Consumer Key: If you are configuring the tool to accommodate both course and coursework integration types, leave this blank.
- Shared Secret: If you are configuring the tool to accommodate both course and coursework integration types, leave this blank.
- Check Show tool type when creating tool instance.
- Default Launch Container: Select the option for whether you would like the TK20 integrations to be embedded or open in a new window.
- Under Privacy, the Tk20 integration does not require user data and so you may set these options however you, including Never. However, you may want to consider the following recommendations:
11. Click Save Changes.
Note(s): You can find essential integration information (e.g., consumer key, secret) from LTI Tool Provider Set in the Administration Tab.
Creating a Course or Assignment Link
Once the Tk20 domain is correctly registered as an External Tool, course administrators or instructors can create links to Tk20 content. To create the link, choose to Add an activity in some content area.
Tip: Make sure your editing is turned on to complete this step.
- Click on the courses title.
- Click on Turn editing on located at the top right of the page.
- Click Add an activity of resource in the content area.
- Select External Tool from the Add an activity or resource popup menu.
- Click the Add button.
- In the General area, enter in the following fields:
- Activity Name: The title of the integration such as the name of Course (e.g. Lesson Planning Module) or Coursework (Lesson Plan) link.
- External tool type: Select the tool type from the dropdown. This tool type was created in the External Tool Configuration step.
- Launch URL: Launch URL provided in the LTI Tool Provider Setup Menu of the Administration tab.
- Launch Container: Select the option for whether you would like the TK20 integrations to be embedded or open in a new window.
- Click Show more… Consumer Key and Shared Secret should be automatically populated.
- Consumer Key: This is the name of the server with the specification for course or assignment key.
- Shared Secret: This is the name of the server with the specification for course or assignment secret.
- Custom parameters: Not applicable.
- For Gradebook Integration (for only Coursework Integrations), click Privacy.
- Select the checkbox Accept grades from this tool.
- Click the Save and return to course button.
- Faculty and student general account integrations link to the Tk20 Homepage.
- Faculty coursework level integrations link to the Tk20 Coursework Submissions page.
- Student course level integrations link to the Tk20 Coursework Submission page.
- After you have setup up your Coursework Link and selected the checkbox Accept grades from this tool in the Privacy area of the link setup, Moodle will automatically add this to the gradebook. However, you may want to adjust the point value or calculation for the gradebook.
- Click Grades under the Course Administration menu.
- Click the Categories and items link.
- Click the Simple view link.
- Click the Edit icon associated with the assignment.
- Modify the assignment grade information as needed.
- Click Save changes.