Step 1: Build a Self-Service Report Template
The first step in generating your faculty web profiles from Faculty Success is building a Self-Service Report template to dictate how activities should appear. This allows you to control the ordering, grouping, filtering, and other aspects of the profile appearance and logic for including different records.
- First, navigate to the Reports area of Faculty Success, and select Create a New Report.
- When prompted, select the Web Profile report style, which will create a generic web profile template as a starting point.
- Now, you can modify the template to your institution's specifications for what types of activities should appear.
- You can also insert faculty images, either from a file upload field in Faculty Success or from an external directory where these files are already stored on campus:
- While validating your web profile template, you should pay attention to the citation styles for different activity types. There is already an extensive list of citation styles available for Publications, but most other activity types may only have a default style available. If any additional styles are needed to support your web profile specifications, you may submit a General work request.
- If you're using our tabbed theme, you can also designate primary sections that will be used as tabs in the web profile. A tab is created/designated for each section where the icon has been selected as shown below.
- Save your report template and give it a logical name.
If you're new to the Self-Service Report template builder, refer to this article for a complete guide.
Step 2: Generate the HTML Snippet
This will generate a snippet of code that can be provided to your institution's content management system administrator. That code, which will be embedded in your website, will generate the faculty web profiles from Faculty Success per your specifications in the Self-Service Report template built in Step 1.
- Open your web profile template.
- Expand the Options tab to expose the Web Profile-related functions.
- Set your template to Enable Snippet, and then select Embed. Be sure to Save the template after setting Enable Snippet so this setting persists.
- Next, select your Theme. The options are "Default", which essentially replicates the report's appearance in the template builder, or "Tabbed", which is our more polished, out-of-the-box theme.
Note: You may use either of our default themes, customize our themes as needed, or create your own themes from scratch to your institution's specifications. Keep in mind that customization will likely require additional IT resources. Technical documentation can be found in GitHub.
- Select the Unique User Identifier that will be used to match users to the corresponding page in your faculty directory. By default, the Faculty Success Username will be used, but you may also utilize any Secondary Identifiers you store in Faculty Success.
- Select Copy to Clipboard or Download HTML to obtain the HTML snippet, which you can provide to your technical team to embed in your content management system.
Step 3: Embed the Snippet in Your CMS
This step should be completed by your campus technical team. This generally includes includes the initial integration with your content management system (CMS), styling, testing, and connection to your faculty directory.
Note that you may use either of our default themes, customize our themes as needed, or create your own themes from scratch to your institution's specifications. Keep in mind that customization will likely require additional technical resources.
Step 4: Enable 'Allow Sharing' (Faculty Opt-In / Opt-Out)
For the screens whose records will appear on web profiles, you may want to allow faculty to select individual records that should or should not appear on their web profiles:
To enable this function, submit a General work request with the following information:
- Opt-in/opt-out method. This determines whether the "Allow Sharing" toggle will be set to "Yes" or "No" by default. Note that this can only be set globally, not screen-by-screen.
- Screens to include. Let us know which screens the toggle should appear on.
Step 5: Validation and Rollout
Once you have validated and tested your setup with all of the appropriate stakeholders (for example, faculty, marketing and communications, IT), you're ready to go-live!
Make sure that you're proactively communicating to faculty about the web profiles module before the go-live date. Users should understand that their Faculty Success data will be pushed to the public-facing website, and they should be given the opportunity to add new activities, edit existing activities, and set their "Allow Sharing" settings (if applicable) before that happens.
Post-Implementation: Provide Feedback to FS
Once you've implemented the web profiles module, please take a moment to provide us some feedback on the web profiles module.
The Workflow module is available to add to Faculty Success for an additional fee. To learn more about adding it for your institution, please contact your Client Success Manager.