In Planning & Self-Study, go to Admin > Integrations > Other Integrations. Click “Connect to Canvas”.
Follow the steps as indicated to establish the connection. If you do not have administrative access to Developer Keys in Canvas, please reach out to someone who does for assistance.
By default, the scoping is disabled when creating a developer key. For the institutions that had already set up their integrations, the scope option will be disabled. However, the scopes can be updated for a developer API key at any time.
Key things to consider when enabling scopes
a. All the required endpoints must be selected in the key in order to make the integration work seamlessly. The integration will not work even if one of these endpoints is missed.
b. Allow Include Parameters option must be selected in an API key. "Includes" parameters may grant access to additional data that is not included in the Endpoints table.
c. Ensure that no additional endpoints are selected other than the required ones in an API key.
Creating API Developer key and Enabling Scopes
Open a new tab and login into Canvas.
In Account Navigation, click the Developer Keys link.
Insert the URL that is listed in P&SS.
By default the scopes are disabled. Click the Enforce Scopes button to enable.
There are API endpoints that must be selected in an API key. The following endpoints will fetch the Courses, Assignments, Rubrics, and results data from Canvas.
You can search the endpoints that are required to fetch the necessary assessment data. To search for a specific endpoint, type the name of the endpoint in the Search Endpoints field. To see all available endpoints, scroll through the Endpoints table.
Required API endpoints
f . url:GET|/api/v1/accounts/:account_id/courses
In Planning and Self-Study:
Set up integration on integration page using an overall admin account.
Creating Admin Role to import rubric data
Minimum set of permissions required by account role in Canvas
In order to be able to fetch assessment results from Canvas as an account admin, there are a set of permissions that an account role must have in Canvas. These permissions will allow the P&SS to leverage the account role to seamlessly fetch all the required data.
Please refer to the following steps to create an account admin role with the permissions listed below.
- Log in as an administrator in Canvas.
- Go to the Admin side menu.
- Add user as an P&SS admin at the root account level.
- Click Permissions side menu.
- Click on Account Role tab.
- Click on the role name.
- Click edit icon.
- Select the following permissions.
- Course Content - view
- Courses - view list
- Grades - view all grades
- Reports - manage
- Rubrics - add / edit / delete
Add user as admin role created above
Create a user account role and add it as an account admin in Canvas. Refer to the following steps on how to add a user as an account admin in Canvas.
- Log in as an administrator in Canvas.
- Click Admin in the user navigation menu.
- Select the root Canvas account, for example: EvaluationKIT as shown in the snapshot.
- Go to Settings in the account navigation menu.
- Click the Admin tab.
- Click + Account Admin button.
- Select the role as P&SS Admin in Add More drop down.
- Insert the email address of the user.
- Click Continue.
- Click OK Looks Good, Add This 1 User.
The user will be added as the P&SS account admin.
Once the integration has been set up, users in P&SS are able to align results in a measure.
- Users can select a course. These courses are the ones that the user has access to in their Canvas account (the credentials used for authorization). Only one course can be selected.
- All the courses from the user’s instance in canvas will be available in P&SS through the integration.
- Unpublished courses are also available in P&SS.
- Outcomes created in the courses (in canvas account) cannot be accessed through integration.
- Under the case, the assessment lead (the canvas authorized user) is not added as a teacher in the course then that course cannot be accessed through integration.
Users in P&SS can align results from Assignment type of assessment activity.
- Assessment activities are Assignment. Users can pull relevant assessment results as evidence. (Quizzes are not accessed through the integration).
- Unpublished assignments are also available in P&SS.
- User needs to add a rubric to the assignment in canvas account for it to populate in the assignment dropdown to choose an assignment.
Assessment results are fetched through integration from Canvas based on the selections made in the rubric criterion.