Activities can be thought of as assignments. An activity is the component that allows the distribution of a template to a course. Activities define the template to be completed by students, as well as the date and time the submission will be due, and whether the submission is required.
Instructors can create activities within their courses. Likewise, administrators can also create activities within a course. However, administrators can also distribute an activity to multiple courses, even if those courses have different instructors. This is especially useful when the same rubric will be used for assessment across several courses, or when completion of the same template will be required of students who are in different courses.
To create and distribute an activity to multiple courses:
1. Click the Hierarchy button located at the top of the page.
2. On the right side of the page, click the Template tab.
3. Click on the Hierarchy node which contains the template to be included in the activity
4. Click the More Options button (three vertical dots) to the right of the template, and click Create Activity
6. In the Title text field, type in a name for the activity.
7. Click in the Sections text field. A list of sections/courses within the selected Hierarchy node will display.
8. Click the plus sign next to each section to which the activity will be distributed.
NOTE: The sections available are based on the node selected in step 3. Only sections that are within that node, or within a contained node, will be available.
9. For each section, select a value for the Student role
10. In the Visible field, choose a date and time that students will first be able to see the activity.
11. In the Open for Submission field, choose a date and time that students will first be able to submit the
12. In the Due field, choose a date and time that the activity will be due.
13. If you would like to students to be able to withdraw their submissions, click the Students can withdraw submission checkbox
14. If the students will be required to submit the activity, click the This activity is required checkbox
15. If you will be creating a link to your activity in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, Moodle, etc.) and would like the students' grades from SL&L to sync with the LMS gradebook, click the Grade will be sent to LMS/CMS grade book checkbox
16. When all selections have been made, click the Publish button in the top right corner.
NOTE: Click the Save as Draft button to save the activity setup, but not make the activity available for submission or assessment.
For information on how to Schedule an Activity to automate the Activity deployment process, click here