When sending a message from within SS&E Messaging, outbound email message attachments can optionally be sent as a link, this is unchanged behavior, or as a file included directly on the outbound message.
In addition, inbound email messages can optionally include attachment file(s) that can be viewed and downloaded within SS&E.
- Attachments can be added to an email message anywhere in SS&E where the logged-in user can create a message.
- When sending a message with attachments, users may only include attachments with a combined file size of under 30 megabytes. This is unchanged.
- Including inbound and/or outbound email message attachment files is permission based.
- For recipients that are not set up as users within SS&E (such as prospects), sending an attached file will allow these recipients to view and download email message attachments sent from SS&E within their email client.
- In order to include an attachment file on an outbound message, there is a checkbox on the message form "Include attachment files directly in the email".
- If including an attachment file directly on the outbound email message is left unchecked, the outbound message will only include a link to the attachment. This is the same way message attachment links functioned in the past. When a recipient clicks on the attachment link from within their email client, they will be redirected to login to SS&E in order to view/download the message attachment(s) from the SS&E message. The attachment link will also display in the recipient's inbox within SS&E. This is unchanged behavior.
- If "Include attachment files directly in the email" is checked, the attachment files will display in the recipient's email client as well as in the recipient's SS&E inbox with attachment links (if the recipient is set up in SS&E People Administration).
- When replying to a message with “included” attachments, the checkbox for “Include attachment files directly in the email” will be checked by default.
NOTE: By design, sending messages with attachment links is faster than sending messages that include attachment files directly in the outbound message. For better messaging performance, we recommend including attachment files only when it is likely that the message recipient(s) do not have access to SS&E.
Attachment File Types
SS&E will NOT process inbound or outbound attachments with any of the following file extensions:
Email Attachment Permissions
Outbound Message Attachment Permissions
In order to allow users to include attachment files on outbound messages and replies sent from within SS&E, the role-based Message permission "Can Include Attachments Directly in Emails" must be set to Yes.
- In order to include an attachment file on the outbound message sent from within SS&E, the user must have at least one role where the above permission is enabled and they must also use the message checkbox to "Include Attachment Files..." on the sent message.
When "Include Attachment Files Directly in the Email" is left unchecked on the message, attachments are sent only as a download link that requires the recipient to log in to SS&E to retrieve the attachment.
Checking "Include Attachment Files Directly in the Email" may be used to include an attachment directly in the email. This option should likely be used when the message recipient does not have access to SS&E.
Inbound Message Attachment Permissions
In order to allow inbound message attachments to be received within SS&E, the feature setting for "Accept Inbound Attachments" must be enabled from SS&E Admin -> Institution Administration.
NOTE: Before enabling this feature, please verify with your administrator, IT or security team that your institution security policy allows you to accept external attachments.
- When enabled, this will allow attachments to be received on inbound message replies sent to SS&E.
- When disabled, any inbound message attachment files included on email replies sent to SS&E will be discarded, and will NOT display on the message reply within SS&E.
- When enabled, inbound message attachment files will appear on the message reply displayed within SS&E and if the originating message enabled outbound attachments, these will also be included on any resulting email messages.
SS&E Direct Messaging
Direct Messaging within SS&E is where the logged-in user can open a message form to send an email message to another person.
Direct messages with optional linked or included attachment files can be added/sent from:
- A Student's Profile
- The Messages Page, on a New Message
- The Messages Page, on a Scheduled Message
From a Student's Profile, users can optionally send a message to the selected student with attachment files included directly on the outbound message by selecting "Message" on the secondary navigation bar. If left unchecked, attachments will only send as links to SS&E Messages. Sending attachment links is unchanged behavior.
From SS&E Messages, users can create a new message with attachments and select to optionally include the attachment files directly in the outbound message or send the attachments only as links to SS&E Messages. Sending attachment links is unchanged behavior.
On Message Templates, users are able to create a message template with attachments and/or edit the attachments on a message template. By design, message templates will only display the attachment link(s).
When using a Message Template, if the message template already has a linked attachment, users will be able to select "Include attachment files directly in the email" after selecting the template.
Outbound Message Attachments
When creating a message within SS&E from the Messaging page, the user can include message attachments by selecting "Attach" from the secondary navigation bar.
- On the Student Profile Message form, "Attach" is at the bottom of the page.
- After a user has selected the message attachments, they will appear as downloadable links displayed below the message body.
- The user must check "Include attachment files directly in the email" in order to send the attachment file on the outbound email as a downloadable file that displays within the recipient(s) email client.
- Until a message is "Sent", the user still has the option to delete an attachment by selecting the x on the attachment link, or to add more attachments using the "Attach" button.
- Once an attachment is uploaded to the outbound message, it will display below the message body.
When receiving an email message with attachment(s) sent from within SS&E, recipient's will either click on a link to download the attachment file within SS&E Messaging; or if attachments files are included on the message, recipients will be able to view and download the attachment file(s) directly from the message within their email client.
- By including attachments directly on the outbound email message, the message recipient will not be directed to SS&E Messaging in order to access the attachment file. This allows recipients that are not set up in SS&E to view and download email message attachments sent from SS&E within their email client.
Within SS&E Messaging, users can click on the download arrow to view an attachment.
Sending Inbound Attachments
Users can also reply to an email message with an attachment that will be available to download within SS&E.
To send an inbound email attachment:
- In the email client, select reply on the SS&E message
- Type in the message
- Select Attach using the attachment icon in the email client
- Browse to the attachment file
- Select Send
- Both outbound message attachments and inbound message attachments will display as a downloadable link within SS&E.
- The email client will display attachment files included on outbound email messages sent from SS&E as well as inbound message attachment files on messages sent to SS&E.